Monday, March 24, 2014

Indy's New Paywalls: Cooler than the NYT's

I've grown up in a generation who expects the internet to be free. And- not saying I do or condone those who do- there are ways to get content that is suppose to be paid for, for free.  Therefore, if you put my generation in front of a paywall, we will be able to get around, under or over it without spending a dime (sorry NYT).

I think some independent media sources are on to this. As a media platform that is expected to be on the cutting edge of technology and internet dissemination, these sanctions are used to thinking a step ahead.

Instead of having a paywall for content, some have created a paywall for special benefits. Democracy Now! has a special they call "Dinner & Show with Amy Goodman" in which an avid fan can pay (a hefty price) for dinner with Amy Goodman, along with the chance to watch a live broadcast and get a tour of the studio.

The online magazine, Slate, has also added a similar service. They call it Slate Plus, and for monthly or yearly subscription ($50 a year, $5 a month- not bad at all!) readers will have access to writers and special events that non-paying readers do not have access to.

I think this is an awesome idea. I would definitely consider paying for an experience to help support my favorite media source. It is like paying extra for backstage passes. Time will tell, but I think it's a very viable idea and a great way to solidify a fan base.

No comments:

Post a Comment